Wednesday, February 25, 2009

#3 - Moments in Black History

Seven down, three to go....

This one was a difficult decision. Numbers one and two are pretty clear cut, but I wrestled with this decision. Actually, I am still deciding.......  

OK...ok....ok....um... Decided.

Here is my #3 "Moment in Black History" from my collection of BHMs. This one is a favorite simply because stereotypes make me giggle. 

Enjoy.......pc
--------------------------------------------

Moments in Black History – Affirmative Action


January 13, 1989:

Seeking a new path in life, Devon Harris quietly packed his cubicle at Imperial One Advertising Agency, leaving behind three tremendous years of remarkable service. His departure, unlike those in the past, marks a painful blow to the company. Certainly, his absence will leave an enormous void; and many wonder how, or if, the agency will ever recover. Since 1986, Harris had been a crucial ingredient contributing to the growth, success, and achievements of Imperial One Advertising Agency. Contrary to water cooler jokes regarding discrimination and affirmative action, Harris was hired based on merit, talent, knowledge, and his overall character. As noted in both Black History and the company newsletter, Devon Harris is first and only Black person employed at Imperial One Advertising Agency.  

“We loved having Devon here,” said Patti Whiteside, a fellow employee, who was the first to orientate Harris into the firm. “He definitely brought something special to our little world. From the very first minute, I knew we’d get along because he can relate. I mean, they work us secretaries like slaves.”

Welcomed with open arms by his new co-workers, Harris soon became a favorite amongst the staff.  

Tom Whitehead remembers Harris as a kind, thoughtful, smart, and “un-lazy” office mate. “He always got his work done. No matter how difficult the task or how long it took. He never goofed off or danced, even during February, when I’m sure he had a lot of stuff going on. I cannot say enough about Devon.”

“I was always surprised,” said Glen Whitesboro, who shared his cubicle area with Harris. “I was always surprised that I never really heard a lot of noise from his side of the cubicle. He was quiet. Didn’t really talk a lot and kept to himself basically. No loud rap music or yelling on the phone or anything. He was just like a normal guy. Weird.”

Within a matter of days, Harris became the most sought after member of the team. Despite lacking knowledge in many of the company’s in’s and out’s, co-workers still requested his knowledge and insight regarding both work related topics and life in general.  

“My group was stuck on this one campaign,” recalled Jill Whitelaw, Lead Advertising Executive. “We were going nowhere and running out of time. Then, I thought, ‘Wait a second, the answer is right in front of me’. Immediately, I found Devon. I don’t know if he was being shy, or just didn’t want to show off his knowledge, but with some reluctance he answered all my questions. I mean, we had no clue how to advertise a fried chicken restaurant. His contribution was invaluable.”

Charlene Whitewood also recalls Harris “shy” nature:

“One night after work, we all met for drinks. Well, I was very curious about his, um, well, just curious about something, and talked Devon into a movie afterwards. Wanting to appease my intellect, he pretended he wanted to see Rain Man, despite my suggestions to see something easier for him to understand, like Who Framed Roger Rabbit? or even something he could relate, like Glory. But, being the gentleman he was, he insisted on seeing Rain Man. Well, throughout the movie, I kept reminding Devon that Dustin Hoffman’s character had a mental disorder, not a super power or E.S.P. Obviously, this must’ve embarrassed him because despite my aggressive flirting and obvious hints, Devon would not come back to my house. Even the slow jam mix tape didn’t work like the Time Life operator promised.”

Another co-worker, Dirk Whitestein recalls another “helpful” piece of advice Harris offered:

“I was at my wits end. I’d done everything I could think of and researched my fanny off, but still came up with nothing. Then, it suddenly hit me like a chocolate pie in the face: Devon. We talked for about thirty minutes. He seemed a little reluctant, but still nodded and shook his head with every question. He helped make a critical decision in my life. Days later, I am happy to say that I purchased the best car stereo EVER, and I’ve been one happy camper ever since. And the Notorious Biggie Boy CD I bought is sweet too. I will really miss his insight.”

Obvious to the cultural difference, many employees did not feel a true bond with Harris. However, George White, office temp turned part-time employee, believed he truly connected with Harris.

“Yo,” said George, “me and my home chill slice D-Von-Rock was tizz-ight like a mo-fo. When I said dope things like ‘my bad’ and ‘get jiggy’, D was totally feeling it, and we connected like that, boo. He’s outie now, but, yo, D, I ain’t mad at ya, playa – my boy’s off holdin’ it down in another area code. Represent playa. Word to the mutha.”

Sadly, days following Harris’ departure, White was terminated without cause. Although White is in fact Caucasian, he claims the termination was due to discrimination since he “grew up on the skreets, fool.” White is actively seeking a lawyer to “do some representin’” on his behalf.  

Harris left the company in the same manner he worked daily---without uttering a single word. In fact, co-workers were indicated of his absence merely by an empty cubicle the following Monday morning. Rumor has it that Harris left before work hours to avoid shedding tears. Many believe Harris left to pursue a career in music, dancing, or professional sports; while others fear he may be the victim of gang violence.  

“No one knew where he lived,” admitted Joel Whitehouse, “but we’ve all seen movies about gangs and carjackers. Those movie scenes, I assume, were just grim images of his everyday life. What a frightening piece of reality Apple pie. The ghetto is a dangerous place. We all hope he’s not dead. It’s sad. Even sadder, he left right before our office basketball season.”

Days later, the office remains saddened. The old cubicle remains empty. “We miss him,” cried Pam White-Walters. “Maybe one day we’ll see him on the news or maybe even Cops.”

Devon Harris earned respect and left behind an office-full of admirers. Company owner, DaMann Whiteman, admits his absence is painful, but the agency must move forward – but, if he does reappear, Harris will be welcomed back “no questions asked”.  

Imperial One Advertising Agency is currently searching to fill Harris’ spot.  

Preferably on or before Cinco de Mayo.

This is a Moment in Black History.





"Like an unchecked cancer, hate corrodes the personality and eats away its vital unity. Hate destroys a man's sense of values and his objectivity. It causes him to describe the beautiful as ugly and the ugly as beautiful, and to confuse the true with the false and the false with the true." Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

No comments: