Wednesday, February 25, 2009

#2 - Moments in Black History

Two more days of Black History Month. This year we don't get the extra day. Damn the man. Only once every four years. It could be worse, I suppose; the man could take one away every four years, right? We shall overcome. 

This BHM is another where I put my hands on the keyboard, fell into a coma-like state with glazed over eyes like a possessed being, and then fifteen minutes later the story below stared back at me from on the screen. To everyone who has emailed, texted and called, here it is -
"Moments in Black History - The German Shepherd".

Since I was a kid, my favorite television show has been "Leave it to Beaver". Funny mentioning arguably the whitest show ever made while discussing "Moments in Black History"---although I'd squabble "Happy Days" beats it. Even though it was way beyond my age, an oldie, I absolutely loved the antics of Beaver and Wally, Eddie and Lumpy, and the gang. One episode that always stood out was one where Eddie's dog attacked Beaver. To some, it was quite innocent as Eddie's German Shepherd chased the Beave ripping his new suit pants from the behind. Oh boy... Needless to say, Ward and June were not pleased. What concerned me more than Beaver's ripped slacks was the fact A DOG actually attacked poor Beaver Cleaver, who was only attempting to break up a fight. Couple that episode with years of watching PBS Civil Rights Movement specials made me realize one thing: German Shepherds - don't trust 'em. If they'd attack Beaver Cleaver, they ain't right. Screw you, Lassie.

Also, I do this every year because it is necessary---a great friend of mine and voice of the Houston Rockets, John Paul Stevenson, enjoyed this BHM so much he actually produced an audio version. Special thanks to Stevenson Productions and some very talented Memphis DJs for lending their voices and transforming my words into an incredible piece. Thank you again, JPS!

If you really want a good laugh, listen here: 

This is for you, Beaver Cleaver, and anyone who has felt the unpleasant teeth of a dog. Especially those who were only trying to eat at a restaurant, drink from a water fountain or sit on a bus seat.

Enjoy
.........pc
--------------------------------------------

Moments in Black History – The German Shepherd



August 26, 1985:

Born on a small farm on the outskirts of Philadelphia, he was feared to be too small and too weak to survive through the night. But he was strong and courageously fought hour by hour, day by day, until he was healthy and strong and out of harm’s reach. He grew and became the favorite amongst family and friends. Sadly there was no space for him and the family was forced to give him away. Less than a month later, a black man named Michael Jones discovered the same fondness and joy for the strong, little survivor. Falling in love instantly, Jones began the adoption process. Jones newly adopted bundle of happiness was a full-blooded German Shepherd puppy he would name Gibson---the runt of the litter and a true survivor. Both he and Michael returned to Philadelphia to begin a new life together. Michael Jones is the first black man to own a German Shepherd.

“What the f*ck was that dumb ass, no history reading ass mutha f*cka thinking,” exclaimed Jones’ neighbor, Wiley Cunningham. “A German Shepherd? Why the hell does a black man want a German Sheppard? There is a mutha f*ckin’ history of violence against us Black people involving the po-lice and German Shepherds! That mutha f*cka ain’t seen the last hours of Roots?” 

The history of violence Cunningham refers is known as the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960’s. 

Since the 18th and 19th centuries, the German Shepherds were true working dogs. Shepherds of Germany used the dogs for herding sheep and cattle. Max von Stephanitz, who improved the methods of herding sheep and training the dogs, is credited for establishing the breed as it is known today. Stephanitz envisioned a dog of incorruptible character, great working ability, loyal, and highly trainable. Over time, railroad transportation and the decline of raising sheep formed a “modernization” in the breed as German Shepherds became companions for both the military and police officers. During the 1960’s Civil Rights Movement, police officers used German Shepherds to “uphold” authority and manage peaceful marchers. Sadly, German Shepherds followed commands thus being captured in historical clips as violent animals victimizing peaceful black marchers. 

An avid viewer of PBS television, Jones’ ex-girlfriend, Shawna Wright, admitted, despite the playful pouncing and wagging tail, she refused to let her guard down with the dog:

“Hell no - that German bitch will bite my ass! You must be outta your damn mind if you think I’ll turn my back on that dog! Fetch a bone, fetch a ball….fetch a piece of my ebony ass, if he gets some Civil Rights/bite a Negro flashback!”

Although Wright and many of Jones’ family and friends share the same beliefs, Jones stands behind his decision to adopt the puppy, stating he understands their concerns, but hopes they realize Gibson had nothing to do with the actions of his ancestors during the Civil Rights Movement just as many white people today. His aunt, Georgia Bean, was the only person to defend his decision, that is, until an unfortunate incident at Jones’ home which retriggered her own personal experiences of the 1960’s:

“Baby, I marched in the sixties,” Bean notes, “right alongside Reverend Martin and several others. I was thirty-six, unbreakable, dedicated, and strong…..until they [the police] released them dogs on us. Child, we came in peace; but them dogs just wanted a piece…a piece of black ass! I saw it then and I seen it now baby.”

The incident happened when Bean stopped by Jones house to water plants and feed the dog while Jones attended business meetings in New York.

“I knew the day was off to a bad start when I forgot my key,” Bean remembers. “I had to go to the backyard and find the spare. When I got back there, Gibson just stood up and started eyeing me like he didn’t know who I was. He looked like that ole yellow dog in that white folks’ movie---the one where that white boy had to shoot him. I kept trying to talk to him and let him hear my voice, but he just stood there showing his teeth and actin’ all crazy.”

Unlike past experiences, the dog’s demeanor did not change, and Bean decided against approaching and petting the dog. Gibson began ferociously snarling and barking at Bean, lounging back and forth, like a wild animal. Fortunately, the dog was chained to his dog house mere feet from Bean.

Bean continues: “I was shocked. But I just thought the dog was just hungry so I went on looking for the key, letting him bark and carry on. Then….oh child….then….then it happened...”

As Bean searched through the tomato plants for the spare key, the sprinkler system activated, spraying her against the house with a high pressure stream of water, knocking her to her feet. Within an instant, Gibson broke free and attacked Bean.

“Oh child, that dog bit my black ass! I know….I know that dog had a flashback! That damn dog thought we was in Alabama or Mississippi 1964. And I know that water triggered something deep, deep, deep inside his canine soul, like old police dog skills or something. Then…oh child, it didn’t stop there….”

Police officers patrolling the neighborhood alley witnessed the incident and entered the yard.

“Ooh, child, those police was good to see until I realized two things: One, they was white; and, two, they thought I was breaking in the house. They pulled out them sticks and beat my black ass. I had the dog biting my ass and billy clubs whoppin’ up my ass too.”

Jones returned the following day to release his aunt from the local hospital. She spent the night as a precaution after being treated. The police department dismissed the incident as a case of mistaken identity. 

To this day, Bean refuses to visit her nephew’s house and owns a cat. Meanwhile, Jones and Gibson live happily – but have since relocated to Simi Valley, California. Jones now dates a white woman. She owns a Chihuahua. 

This is a Moment in Black History.





“Racism is not an excuse not do the best you can.”            Arthur Ashe

No comments: